Houston Boat Accident Lawyer
Boating accidents can be just as devastating and dangerous as car accidents. If you or a loved one has been involved in a boating accident, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer. You need a boat accident lawyer that understands the challenges of these types of cases. At Walker Texas Lawyer, we have the expertise and knowledge to help you navigate through the legal process. We will get you the compensation you deserve.
Boat accidents can be caused by various factors, including operator error, equipment failure, or even weather conditions. Regardless of the cause, if you’ve been injured in a boating accident, you need a lawyer to fight for your rights and help you get the compensation you deserve.
James Walker, a personal injury lawyer, will work tirelessly to investigate the cause of your accident and determine who is at fault. We will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and consult with experts to build a strong case on your behalf.
We understand that boating accidents can be traumatic and life-changing. That’s why we fight to get you the compensation you need to cover medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t pay us anything unless we win your case.
Don’t let a boating accident ruin your life. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers. We’re here to help you get the justice and compensation you deserve.
Types Of Boat Accidents
As a personal injury lawyer, I have seen firsthand the devastating impact that boating accidents can have on individuals and families. Boating accidents can occur for various reasons. They can lead to serious injuries, property damage, and even death. Below, we discuss some of the most common types of boat accidents:
- Collision with another vessel or object: This is one of the most common types of boating accidents. Collisions can happen when two boats travel in opposite directions, when a boat is speeding, or when a boat operator is under drugs or alcohol. Collisions can result in serious injuries. These injuries include broken bones, head trauma, and spinal cord injuries.
- Flooding/Swamping: This type of accident occurs when a boat takes on water, causing it to sink or capsize. Flooding and swamping can happen for a variety of reasons, including bad weather, overloading the boat, or improper maintenance. This type of accident can be particularly dangerous because it can happen quickly and without warning, leaving passengers little time to react.
- Grounding: Grounding occurs when a boat runs aground on a sandbar or a rock. This type of accident can cause serious damage to the boat and injuries to passengers who may be thrown from the boat or hit by objects.
- Capsizing: Capsizing occurs when a boat overturns. This type of accident can happen when the boat is overloaded when there are high winds or waves, or when the boat operator is inexperienced. Capsizing can lead to serious injuries, including drowning and hypothermia.
- Fire/Explosion: Although rare, fires and explosions can occur on boats. These accidents can happen for various reasons, including fuel leaks, electrical problems, or improper storage of flammable materials.
Schedule A Consultation With A Boat Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a boating accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. You should also contact a personal injury lawyer with experience handling boating accident cases. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. They can work to help you recover compensation for your injuries, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Our law firm is committed to helping boating accident victims recover the compensation they deserve. We have the experience and expertise necessary to handle even the most complex boating accident cases. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.
Boat Accidents That Occur At Sea
A boating accident that occurs on the sea may fall under maritime law jurisdiction. In these cases, maritime rules outweigh state and local laws. While plaintiffs must still prove negligence in a sea-related boating accident, liability works differently than it does in state courts. Instead of a modified comparative negligence rule, juries must adhere to joint and several liability rules.
Under the concept of joint and several liability, any party that contributed to a tortious act will share equal liability for damages. For example, if a passenger on a boat injured in a boating collision where both operators acted negligently, that passenger holds the right to request compensation from any or all of the possible defendants.
Additionally, vessel owners may also use the Limitation Act to limit their liability in cases of accidents at sea. If the owner was unaware of the circumstances that led to an incident, he or she may use this act to create liability limits not exceeding the vessel’s value.
If maritime/admiralty laws apply in a boating accident, injured parties may require an attorney who understands this specialized field. Walker Texas Lawyer represents passengers, crew members, and boat owners in injury claims that fall under maritime law.
Inland Waterway Accidents
If you were cruising around the waterbodies around Houston (i.e., in freshwater), state and federal laws might apply to your accident claim. If an incident results in a death, an injury that requires more than first aid treatment, or property damage exceeding $2,000 in value, the boat operator must file a claim with state and federal agencies.
A formal accident report may be required by law. This can help prove that an injury occurred in an accident, should a personal injury claim arise. For accidents that fall under state and/or federal jurisdiction, the claims process is similar to that of any other personal injury claim.
In Texas, a modified comparative fault rule determines negligence and liability in an accident. If the plaintiff can prove that the defendant is responsible for 51% or more of the incident and that this incident caused the injury in question, then he or she may recover damages.
Contact A Houston Personal Injury Lawyer After A Boat Accident
Boating accidents can be traumatic and overwhelming experiences. If you have been involved in a boating accident, taking certain steps to protect yourself and your legal rights is important.
- Seek medical attention: The most important step after a boating accident is to seek medical attention for yourself and any other passengers. Even if you feel fine, get checked out by a medical professional. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
- Report the accident: You should report the accident to the appropriate authorities, such as the Coast Guard or local law enforcement. Reporting the accident can help ensure that the appropriate agencies respond and can also help with any future legal claims.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photos and videos of the accident scene, including any damage to the boats and any injuries. This documentation can be important evidence in any future legal claims.
- Exchange information: Exchange information with the other parties involved in the accident, including their names, contact information, and insurance information.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer: If you have been injured in a boating accident, it is important to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. They can work to help you recover compensation for your injuries. This includes medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Contact Houston’s Personal Injury Lawyer
At Walker Texas Lawyer, we have the experience and expertise necessary to handle even the most complex boating accident cases. We dedicate ourselves to helping victims of boating accidents recover the compensation they deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.