Texas Summer Travel Tips
Summer is here, and many Texans are hitting the road for vacation. Whether you’re taking a long road trip or just traveling a few hours away from home, staying safe on the road is essential. Here are some Texas summer car travel tips to help you and your family stay safe while driving this summer. Remember Walker Texas Lawyer’s information in case you need an auto injury attorney.
1. Plan Your Route in Advance
Before setting out on your journey, take the time to plan your route. Use a mapping app to identify the best roads and check for potential hazards like construction, weather events, or traffic. Factor in rest stops and meal breaks to avoid driver fatigue and be prepared to make changes to your itinerary if necessary. Having a clear plan can help reduce stress and prevent accidents.
2. Ensure Your Vehicle is Roadworthy
Before embarking on your journey, have your vehicle checked by a certified mechanic to ensure that it’s in good working order. Have the oil changed, and check the brakes, tires, battery, and wipers to ensure everything is functioning correctly. Paying attention to your car’s maintenance needs can help prevent a breakdown on the road and keep you safe.
3. Buckle Up and Keep Safe Distances
It’s essential to buckle up before starting your vehicle. Make sure everyone in the car has put on their seatbelt and is correctly secured. Also, maintain a safe distance from other vehicles, especially large trucks. Follow the three-second rule or more in heavy traffic and avoid tailgating to prevent accidents.
4. Slow Down in Construction Zones
Summer is often a time for road construction and maintenance. If you come across a construction zone on your journey, pay attention to the posted instructions and slow down. Construction zones are hazardous, and you need to be extra cautious. Fines for speeding in a construction zone can be severe, so it’s vital to follow posted instructions.
5. Take Breaks and Avoid Driver Fatigue
Sitting in a car for long hours can be tiring. Ensure that you take regular breaks to stretch your legs and give your mind a rest. Taking a break of at least 15 minutes after every two hours of driving can help prevent driver fatigue. Stay alert and avoid driving when you’re feeling drowsy.
6. Be Prepared for Emergencies
In case of emergency, make sure to have a first aid kit, blanket, water, flashlight, and a fully charged mobile phone with you. You never know when you might need them. Additionally, have the Walker Texas Lawyer’s phone number on hand in case of any auto accident injuries. That number is 713-552-1117
7. Avoid Distracted Driving
Driving requires concentration and a focused mind. To avoid distractions, turn off your cell phone or hand it to your passenger. Do not attempt to eat, groom, or engage in any activity that takes your attention off the road. Distracted driving can be fatal and should be avoided at all costs.
8. Stay Hydrated
When driving during the summer months, it’s essential to stay hydrated. Drink enough water to keep you alert and focused on the road. Dehydrated drivers tend to experience fatigue and may respond slower to sudden changes in traffic. Drinking plenty of fluids can help prevent this from happening.
9. Be careful Of Slippery Roads
Texas weather can be unpredictable. One moment it’s sunny and 100 degrees, and the next it’s pouring rain. That’s why it’s important to be prepared when driving in slippery conditions. Here are 10 safety tips for driving on slippery Texas roads.
Best and Most Scenic Summer Road Trips in the U.S.
Now that you’ve gotten your Travel Tips in check, get steeped in some history and see some of the country’s most stunning scenery. Check out the 40 of the best, most scenic road trips in the U.S., by visiting this article!
What To Do If You Are In An Accident While On Your Trip
No matter how careful you are, accidents can happen, and knowing what to do is essential. We have written an article that details what to do if you are in a car accident. However, the following steps can help protect you and your passengers:
- Call 911 to report the accident and request medical assistance if needed.
- Stay at the scene of the accident and do not leave until the police arrive.
- Exchange information with the other driver, including name, phone number, insurance information, and vehicle details. Any evidence you can document from your car accident can be crucial in your case.
- Document the auto accident by taking photos with your phone or camera.
- Contact Walker Texas Lawyer immediately for guidance.
If you are in an car accident, do not apologize. If you see that the other driver is hurt and instinctively say, “I am soooooo sorry, are you alright, do you need an ambulance?” this simple gesture can jeopardize your chances of obtaining fair compensation. Especially if you were not at fault but the other driver was.
Houston’s Auto Accident Injury Attorney
Walker Texas Lawyer understands the elements motor vehicle accident litigation. Walker Texas Lawyer has been an award-winning Houston Personal Injury attorney for over 40 years. Having helped over 25,000 clients, he uses that experience to his client’s advantage.
Walker understands how accidents happen, as well as the medical implications. Serious motor vehicle accidents can cause catastrophic injuries such as brain damage, quadriplegia, and spinal cord injury. We fight for maximum compensation for our clients. Contact Walker Texas Lawyer today to schedule a consultation about your case!
Because of our extensive experience handling a wide variety of accident injury cases, we fully understand:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Semi Truck Accidents
- Uber / Lyft Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Enjoy Your Summer Travel Plans
Summer is an ideal time to take a road trip and create unique memories with your family and friends. However, staying safe on the road and following traffic rules is essential. Follow these travel tips to ensure that you and your loved ones have a safe and fun-filled summer. If, by any chance, you get into an accident, call Walker Texas Lawyer. He is Houston’s Auto Injury Attorney. James Walker will help you through your legal battle. Call us today for a free consultation.
Additional Auto Injury Attorney Resources
- Car Accident Lawyer
- The First Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Houston
- Car Accident Frequently Asked Questions
- Car Accident Injuries
- Car Accident Types
- Coping with Headaches after a Car Accident
- Dash Cams: The Benefits of Having One in Your Vehicle
- Everything You Need to Know About the Hands-Free Law in Texas
- Evidence You Need For Your Car Accident Claim
- Photographic Evidence At The Scene Of An Accident Can Boost Your Claim
- Road Rage and Aggressive Driving — Here’s What You Need to Know
- Should You Apologize After A Car Crash?
- Should You Call the Police After a Fender Bender in Texas?
- Texas is a “AT-fault” state for car accidents
- The Effects of Airbag Deployment on Your Car Accident Claim
- Understanding Low Speed Car Accidents
- What To Say After An Auto Accident?