Houston Uber/Lyft Accident Attorney
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have become increasingly popular in recent years. They provide a convenient and cost-effective alternative to traditional taxis and public transportation. While these services can be convenient, they also come with their own unique risks and challenges. We will discuss the types of Uber/Lyft accidents that can occur in Houston, Texas. Also we will discuss what you can do if you are in an accident involving a rideshare service.
At Walker Texas Lawyer, we have the experience and expertise necessary to handle even the most complex Uber accident cases. We are committed to helping victims of rideshare accidents recover the compensation they deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.
Causes Of Rideshare Accidents In Houston, Texas
Uber is a convenient way to travel in the city of Houston. However, remember that Uber drivers are not required to obtain any special training or a special license to drive for Uber. While the company performs some background checks, there’s no guarantee that your driver will be cautious or safe behind the wheel.
Leading causes of rideshare accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of Houston’s most common causes of Uber/Lyft accidents. Distractions such as phones, GPS devices, or other passengers in the vehicle may lead to accidents and injuries.
- Reckless driving: Some Uber/Lyft drivers may engage in reckless driving behaviors. Some of these behaviors are speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, or failing to yield to other vehicles. These can lead to serious accidents and injuries.
- Driver fatigue: Uber/Lyft drivers may work long hours to maximize their earnings, leading to driver fatigue and drowsy driving. This can increase the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: Uber/Lyft drivers are responsible for maintaining their own vehicles, and some may not properly maintain their vehicles or keep them in safe working condition. This can lead to accidents caused by vehicle malfunctions such as faulty brakes or tires.
- Intoxicated driving: While Uber and Lyft have policies in place to prevent intoxicated driving, some drivers may still choose to drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This can lead to serious accidents and injuries.
Hire A Houston Rideshare Attorney
If you have been injured in an accident involving a rideshare service in Houston, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. You should also contact a personal injury lawyer with experience handling Uber/Lyft accident cases. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. Additionally, they can work to help you recover compensation for your injuries. This includes medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Can I Sue Uber or Lyft After An Accident Involving One Of Their Drivers?
If you have been in an accident with a rideshare company such as Uber or Lyft, you may wonder if you can sue the company for damages. The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the circumstances of the accident and the laws in your state.
Here are a few factors to consider:
- Driver status: One of the key factors in determining whether or not you can sue a rideshare company is the driver’s status at the time of the accident. Suppose the driver was on-duty and actively transporting a passenger or on their way to pick up a passenger. In that case, the rideshare company’s insurance policy will typically provide coverage for any damages or injuries sustained in the accident. However, if the driver was off-duty at the time of the accident, the rideshare company’s insurance policy may not apply.
- Insurance coverage: Rideshare companies typically provide insurance coverage for their drivers and passengers, but the specifics of this coverage can vary depending on the circumstances of the accident. If the rideshare company’s insurance policy does not fully cover your damages or injuries, you may be able to sue the company for additional damages.
- Negligence: If the rideshare driver was at fault for the accident due to negligence, you may be able to sue the rideshare company for damages. Negligence can include actions such as distracted driving, reckless driving, or driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Third-party liability: In some cases, you may be able to sue a rideshare company for damages if the accident was caused by a third party, such as another driver on the road. However, this can be a complex legal situation that requires the expertise of an experienced personal injury lawyer.
If you have been involved in an accident with a rideshare company, it is important to consult a personal injury lawyer with experience handling these types of cases. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options. Walker Texas Lawyer will work to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Uber Must Maintain An Insurance Policy To Cover The Costs Of Accidents
In an Uber accident, you might be able to recover benefits from one of its two insurance policies. The first is effective when an Uber driver actively uses the Uber app and waits for a ride request. In the event of an accident, this coverage kicks in and helps pay for injuries sustained:
- $50,000 per person in bodily injury
- $100,00 per accident in bodily injury, and
- $25,000 in property damage per accident.
Uber’s policy for drivers goes into effect the moment a driver accepts a ride request. The policy includes:
- $1,000,000 in third-party liability coverage
- Uninsured motorist coverage, and
- Contingent collision coverage
While a driver is en route to pick up a passenger, during the ride, and until the passenger is dropped off at their destination, Uber’s $1 million policy remains in effect.
It’s important to note that Uber’s insurance policies are secondary coverage. This means that you won’t be able to seek compensation from Uber until you’ve exhausted other benefits, such as those from the rideshare driver or his or her personal auto coverage.
If You Are Injured In An Uber or Lyft Accident, The Injuries Can Be Severe
Don’t underestimate or minimize the injuries you sustained from an Uber accident in Houston. Even seemingly mild injuries can end up having long-term consequences. Walker Texas Lawyer represents clients who suffered:
- Brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Wrongful death
You May Be Eligible For Damages If You’ve Been Injured In An Accident Involving A Rideshare
If you have been in an accident involving a rideshare service such as Uber or Lyft, you may be entitled to damages to help cover the costs of your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
These are some of the damages that you may be entitled to:
- Medical expenses: If you have been injured in a rideshare accident, you may be entitled to damages to help cover the cost of your medical expenses. This can include expenses such as hospital bills, doctor’s visits, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If your injuries have prevented you from working, you may be entitled to damages to help cover the wages you have lost due to the accident. This can include both current and future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: If you have experienced pain and suffering due to your injuries, you may be entitled to damages to compensate you for this. Pain and suffering damages can be difficult to quantify, but an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you determine an appropriate amount.
- Property damage: If your vehicle or other property was damaged in the accident, you may be entitled to damages to help cover the cost of repairs or replacement.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, you may be entitled to punitive damages if the rideshare driver was particularly reckless or negligent in causing the accident. Punitive damages are designed to punish the driver for their behavior and to deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
If you have been injured in an accident involving a rideshare service, it is important to consult a personal injury lawyer with experience handling these types of cases. An experienced lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options and can work to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact Walker Texas Lawyer For Your Rideshare Accident
If you have been injured in an Uber accident in Houston, TX , contact Walker Texas Lawyer immediately for legal assistance. We can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
You will have a limited time to file a claim for damages. Most Uber accident lawsuits must be filed within two years of the accident. Miss the deadline, and you’ll lose the right to recover anything. Contact our Houston law office today. Your case evaluation is free of charge.