Car accidents are always stressful and can leave you feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do. However, if you are in an accident with a drunk driver, the situation becomes even more complicated. It is important to understand the immediate steps to take at the scene, the legal considerations involved, and how to seek compensation for your damages. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on what to do if you are in an accident with a drunk driver, and how Walker Texas Lawyer can help you navigate the legal process.
Drunk Driving Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), there were 10,257 drunk-driving crashes in Texas in 2021, resulting in 1,077 fatalities . This was an increase of 9% over 2020. Additionally, in 2020, there was a 7.54% increase in fatalities from drunk-driving crashes compared to 2019. Additionally, Texas ranks as the state with the nation’s worst drivers, according to a study by QuoteWizard.
What To Do At the Accident Scene
If you’re involved in a suspected drunk driver accident Houston, you will need a experienced Lawyer for car accidents caused by drunk drivers. If you are physically able, here are some things you should do at the scene of the car wreck Houston.
- Seek Medical Attention First – Call 911 to alert first responders, including law enforcement and EMS if someone requires medical attention. In emergencies, the sooner help arrives for injured people, the better.
- Don’t Leave The Scene – Even if your vehicle sustains minimal damage. If you are ok, you should stay at the place the accident happened until first responders arrive and law enforcement officers file an accident report.
- Take Video And Images – Having video and photographic evidence from the accident scene can help support your claim. Be sure to record any visible injuries, the crash scene, and pictures of the vehicles involved before they get towed.
- Move Vehicles Out Of Traffic – If there are no serious injuries, move vehicles out of the way of traffic and stand away from the road, if possible.
- Don’t Admit Fault – The scene of the accident isn’t the place to admit any wrongdoing. Allow law enforcement to do their job, be respectful of their requests. Additionally, cooperate with them, and leave the legal aspect to your lawyer.
- Get Vital Information From The Other Driver – Before leaving the scene of a drunk driving accident, be sure to get vital information, such as their phone number and the insurance company or policy number. If there are other witnesses or victims, get their names and contact information, too.
- Keep A Record Of Expenses And Costs – Keep a copy of all accident-related receipts, bills, and records. If you take the matter to court, this paperwork helps prove expenses and damages incurred from the accident.
A drunk driving accident differs from a regular car accident in terms of legal implications. In addition to any criminal charges the drunk driver may face, you may also be able to pursue a civil lawsuit against them. The potential legal outcomes of the case can include compensation for damages, such as medical bills and lost wages. A Lawyer for car accidents caused by drunk drivers can help you explore your options.
After an accident with a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. An experienced lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal process and increase your chances of receiving fair compensation. At Walker Texas Lawyer, we have over 40 years of experience helping clients involved in accidents with drunk drivers. Our team of experts can help you obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
Dealing With Drunk Driver Accident Houston
Being involved in an accident with a drunk driver is a traumatic experience. Knowing what steps to take to protect yourself and your legal rights is essential. Seeking medical attention, calling the police, and gathering evidence are all crucial steps to take at the scene. Additionally, understanding the legal considerations involved and seeking compensation for your damages can help you move forward after the accident. If you are in an accident with a drunk driver, you need an experienced lawyer for car accidents caused by drunk drivers. Walker Texas Lawyer is Houston’s car accident attorney. Call today for a free case review. James Walker is dedicated to helping clients obtain the justice and compensation they deserve.
Additional Car Accident Resources
- Car Accident Lawyer
- The First Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Houston
- Car Accident Frequently Asked Questions
- Car Accident Injuries
- Car Accident Types
- Coping with Headaches after a Car Accident
- Everything You Need to Know About the Hands-Free Law in Texas
- Evidence You Need For Your Car Accident Claim
- How To Avoid Car Accidents
- Photographic Evidence At The Scene Of An Accident Can Boost Your Claim
- Road Rage and Aggressive Driving — Here’s What You Need to Know
- Should You Apologize After A Car Crash?
- Should You Call the Police After a Fender Bender in Texas?
- The Dangers of Texting and Driving
- Texas is a “AT-fault” state for car accidents
- Texas Summer Road Travel Tips
- The Effects of Airbag Deployment on Your Car Accident Claim
- Understanding Low Speed Car Accidents
- What To Say After An Auto Accident?